Thursday, February 16, 2006

The Infamous Conversation

I know the blog is supposed to be about Overshare, but I got a couple of requests for Oh-My-God-I-Loved-It's infamous religion conversation, so I'm posting it. Enjoy. Overshare will be back soon.

Jewish Coworker: I’m going to my best friend’s house tonight, and I’m really nervous about it.
Anonymous: Why are you nervous?
Jewish Coworker: Well, they’re Orthodox, which means they’re kosher. I always get worried that I’m going to put meat on the wrong plate or something.
Oh-My-God-I-Loved-It: What are you talking about, wrong plate?
Jewish Coworker: Well, when someone is kosher they have to follow very strict rules about their food—including how meat is butchered, stuff like that. And there are separate plates for different foods. If you mess up this whole big process has to be followed to make everything kosher again.
OMG: That’s just stupid.
Jewish Coworker, offended: It’s not stupid; it’s kosher.
OMG: No, it’s stupid. Like how Christians set an extra place at the table for Jesus.
Anonymous: What was that?
OMG: When you become Christian you have to set an extra place at the dinner table for Jesus and serve it food and everything for the rest of your life.
Anonymous: No, you don’t.
OMG: Yes, you do.
Anonymous: I became a Christian when I was thirteen. I’ve never set an extra place for Jesus. I’ve never been told I had to. I know hundreds and hundreds of Christians who don’t do that.
OMG: Well, you’re supposed to.
Anonymous: Are you a Christian?
OMG: God, no! Are you kidding? That’s like being Muslim or something! So oppressive to women. I’ll never get why women would ever choose to join an organized religion.
Anonymous: Well…
OMG: Spirituality is such a personal thing, you know? Like the other day, Saturday… these Baptist women knocked on my door. And then they handed me a magazine and asked me if I was saved.
Anonymous: They handed you a magazine?
OMG: Yeah. Stupid Baptists. I told them that religion is a very personal thing and I’d rather not discuss it. And then they asked if I was Catholic and I just laughed at them. As if, of all religions, I'd be Catholic.
Anonymous: Are you sure they weren’t Jehovah’s Witnesses?
OMG: No, there are like five Baptist churches around my house.
Anonymous: Right. I just ask because it’s not a usual practice of Baptist churches to hand out magazines door-to-door.
OMG: Well, they’re all the same, right? Mormons, Baptists, Jehovah’s Witnesses.
Anonymous: No, not really.

OMG: Yes, they are.

7 Comments:

At 9:33 AM, February 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I didn't know you, I would think that you were making all of this up.

OMG doesn't do anything that requires knowledge does she? Baptists being the same as JWs...Oh my..:)

 
At 10:38 AM, February 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just how old is OMG?

She's good at having a conversation with herself, huh?

 
At 11:01 AM, February 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that she did indeed manage to offend every religion. What the heck? And she keeps going on about it even though she says it is a very personal matter. What is wrong with people?
I would love to start leaving random religious materials on her desk.

 
At 12:01 PM, February 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my God she's stupid! don't you think!? I do!

 
At 12:45 PM, February 17, 2006, Blogger timoni said...

Best part:

OMG: Well, you’re supposed to.
Anonymous: Are you a Christian?
OMG: God, no! Are you kidding?


Hahaha! That's so awesome. Who the heck told her about saving a place for Jesus? I've never heard of that before and I grew up Pentacostal, for heaven's sakes. If anybody did it, we sure as heck would've.

 
At 2:16 PM, February 17, 2006, Blogger Marcia said...

Wow. Just wow. I was a theology major, and I think I've vaguely heard of some random sects of Christianity setting out a plate for Jesus, but... only on special occasions, and... not required.

I think your coworkers are, if possible, worse than mine.

 
At 2:29 PM, May 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy Crap this chick is awesome.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home