Monday, February 27, 2006

Olympic Overshare

My office is... how shall we say... not exactly sport-oriented. I, personally, am a sport fanatic. But my coworkers... not so much. Save figure skating. They are some crazy fools about figure skating. I overheard one group of coworkers getting into a very loud argument over who should have been on the USA Olympic team... and they all seemed very knowledgable about it, which struck me as odd. But whatever. Suffice to say-- Figure Skating is King in my workplace. Sacred, even.

Obviously, last Thursday night is when the all-important Women's Figure Skating was being broadcast on NBC. There was much grumbling in the ranks here about it not being live because of the time change, yadda yadda yadda. I think some of our customer service people even pledged to not check any internet sites that could possibly show the medal count that day.

Overshare, literally dancing with excitment: How much do you care about the Olympics?
Anonymous: Ehh. I can take it or leave it... I like some particular sports, but I get more excited about Summer Olympics.
Overshare: So you won't care if I tell you the figure skating standings? I just checked the live results.
Customer Service Rep, from his own cubicle where I can't see him: HEY!!! DON'T YOU DARE TELL!!!
Overshare, yelling: But she doesn't care.
Customer Service Rep, yelling: But I do!!
Overshare: [waves her hand dismissively] Then cover your ears.
Anonymous: Hey, Overshare... I don't really need to know, and he obviously doesn't want to hear... so I can wait to see the results.
Overshare: Maybe you're right.

I breathe a big sigh of relief that a fistfight has been avoided. Too soon.

Overshare: I'll just leave it at: Sasha fell and the Japanese girl didn't.
Customer Service Rep: [groans] I can't believe you just did that.
Overshare: What?? I didn't say that every one else falls too and so Sasha still gets the silver, now did I?

[beat]

Overshare: Oops.
Customer Service Rep: [groans; I hear a *thunk* as he puts his head on his desk.]

3 Comments:

At 12:43 PM, February 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just can't believe she's that stupid as to not have divulged that information intentionally, under the guise of stupidity. Perhaps I give her more credit than she is due, but it just seems too blatantly inconsiderate.

 
At 1:36 PM, February 28, 2006, Blogger timoni said...

I agree, it's almost too calculated. Who forms sentences like that unintentionally? Or is that a stupid question?

 
At 9:40 AM, March 01, 2006, Blogger Anonymous Coworker said...

Oh, I have no doubt that she did it all on purpose. That's the beauty of Overshare... a part of her knows she's crazy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home