Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Family Security

One day, I walked into the office kitchen and came face to face with the security guard that sits in the office lobby. This is, by no means, an every day occurrence.

Neither one of us said anything. She continued making her coffee (even using someone's half-and-half from the office fridge) while I put my lunch in the freezer and moved on to my office.

A short while later, Security Guard walked by my office, coffee in hand, and entered Tyrannical Sorority Sister's office. A moment later, I heard her door shut... and a few minutes after that, I heard them hysterically laughing through our thin walls.

TSS had made a friend.

Interesting, indeed... and I found myself wondering if Security Guard was solicited to buy some candles, too. But overall, this situation isn't necessarily blog-worthy, is it?

Except for the fact that later on that very same day, Overshare would get called into TSS's office for a lecture about meeting CTF for lunch. As in, TSS didn't think it was very "appropriate" to meet for lunch with a non-coworker. Even if said lunch was off of company property.

Apparently, it's perfectly ok though to give Security Guard free reign of the office, coffee maker, and some poor Marketing Intern's creamer.

Later that week, TSS entered my office:

TSS: I'm selling raffle tickets.
Anonymous: Oh.
TSS: Want to buy some?
Anonymous: Well, you know, it's in-between paychecks...
TSS, turning on a sickeningly sweet voice: It's for a good cause.
Anonymous: I'm sure it is...
TSS: Security Guard's family picnic.
Anonymous: Security Guard's family picnic? Are you related?
TSS: No.

We paused for a moment here. Call me crazy, but I was kind of waiting for some explanation, some connection to Security Guard that would explain why TSS was peddling raffle tickets (and, by the way, who sells raffle tickets to complete strangers for a family picnic??) for her. No such explanation ever came.

Anonymous: I just don't think I can swing it right now.
TSS: I must say I'm disappointed. I thought you considered yourself a supporter of innercity kids. I have them until close of business tomorrow. You just let me know if you decide you can spare a dollar or two for some poor urban families.

6 Comments:

At 9:11 AM, May 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jaw on floor.

 
At 9:29 AM, May 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

unbelievable.

 
At 10:41 AM, May 23, 2006, Blogger Muffy said...

That is just beyond weird. Talk about uncomfortable.

 
At 3:01 PM, May 23, 2006, Blogger Diedre said...

WHAT?

 
At 7:35 AM, May 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm scratching a whole in my head. like....i can feel my damn brain.

wait...this a trick isn't it?

 
At 10:33 AM, May 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best part of this whole thing, is the last line...If you were going to give money for inner city's family, wouldn't you give it to charity? Not Security Guard's family picnic...This is SO bizarre...I don't think you work on earth...you work in the Twilight Zone...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home