Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Introducing Tyrannical Sorority Sister

Finally. I have been wracking my brains for weeks attempting to come up with that nickname. They usually come so easily, but this one was giving me fits. [Huge sigh of relief.]

On to the story.

It has come to my attention that I have neglected a certain aspect of Overshare’s life here in this crazy overshare world. For this oversight, I apologize, dear readers. Allow me to remedy that immediately.

You see, Overshare has a direct supervisor: Tyrannical Sorority Sister, or TSS for short.

My company doesn’t exactly have the most, how shall we say… efficient hiring processes. (Witty Comeback: Understatement, much?) It turns out that both TSS’s position and Overshare’s were empty at the same time… and instead of using some common sense HR decided to go ahead and hire Overshare, without a supervisor in place. They obviously did not anticipate the difficulty they had in hiring someone. It turned out that Overshare was in her position, without a direct supervisor, for a good six months before TSS was hired. And in that time, management had regulated a lot of TSS’s future duties to Overshare.

This, of course, led to the unfortunate and awkward situation of Overshare having to train her own supervisor. Unfortunate and awkward enough in any case, but when you have Overshare teaching anything… mixed with the fact that TSS turned out to the be the kind of employee that you pray every day will quit… let’s just say it led to some hilarity in its own right.

Now, to answer some questions I’m sure you have.

1. TSS is, in fact, a sorority sister. To this day. As in, she’s treasurer.
2. TSS is not, in fact, in college.
3. TSS is an older woman, with several adult children.
4. TSS lives in a separate city from the one in which our office resides. Her commute tops an hour each way.
5. TSS has never held a management position before.

You’ll see why she earned the “T” in her name in the next few entries. And just to round out this post, I’ll tell of the conversation TSS and I had that first led me to believe that something may be off. Keep in mind that she had been working in my office for a grand total of one week at this point.

Tyrannical Sorority Sister, waving a catalog at me: Buy some candles.
Anonymous Coworker: Candles?
TSS: Buy some candles.
Anonymous: Why are you selling candles?
TSS: For my sorority. Buy some.
Anonymous: Well, I don’t know.
TSS: It’s for a good cause.
Anonymous: Your sorority?
TSS: Yeah. We’re having our conference in Orlando this year.
Anonymous: And the candles…
TSS: Go towards our plane tickets.
Anonymous: Ah…
TSS: Buy some.
Anonymous: Well, it's just that I'm already committed to supporting several charities...
TSS: What, you have a problem with me or something? Buy. Some. Candles.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 2:30 PM, May 02, 2006, Blogger Marcia said...

She was so sweet to you! I would have just loved to buy candles from her.

(I hope you can tell the sarcasm. I wish there was an HTML code, like "s" for "sarcasm" and everyone would know that anything written like that was sarcastic. But I'm getting off the point.)

 
At 2:36 PM, May 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apparently she takes her candles (and her sorority) seriously...

 
At 5:50 AM, May 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I strenuously object to this woman's method of fundraising. It's perfectly clear that she's soliciting donations from her coworkers to pay for her little vacation down in Orlando. I think it would be much easier to simply get her coworkers falling-down drunk and sell their organs on the black market.

 
At 8:17 AM, May 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Start wearing a sign ,"Absolutely No Soliciting." Of course, in that office it would invite too many comments. So, my second option would be a swift kick in the shins.

 
At 9:21 AM, May 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have said, "Do I look like I want candles? If it were a 40oz I'd think about it......Fu$*ing candles?"

And while she walked away, I'd say, "that must be Jelly, cause jam don't shake like dat!"....She'd never talk to you again.

I think doing a step routine for a false sorority would help too.

BROKE-FI-BROKE!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home