Thursday, February 01, 2007

ET, Phone Asylum

One day, Overshare had some things in her car that she needed to bring into the office. So about mid-way through the work day she stopped in my office and asked if I would help her carry some of the stuff in. Eyes crossing from a very tedious assignment, I agreed.

We didn't really talk much on the way to her car, which is a blessing in a not-so-secret disguise.

Once there, though, what I encountered clearly called for a discussion.

Anonymous: Uh, Overshare?
Overshare: Yes?
Anonymous: What's that?
Overshare: What?
Anonymous: That. [Pointing.] Why do you have a car seat?
Overshare: Oh, that's the funniest thing ever!

Really? The Funniest Thing Ever? Must be one of those sarcastic talking car seats I've been hearing so much about.

At this point, I didn't really want to know the story behind why a single-ish twenty-something girl without progeny had a car seat in the back of her car. At least, I didn't until I looked a little closer and saw that something was actually buckled into the car seat.


Anonymous: Is that?
Overshare: Yes, yes it is.
Anonymous: What? Why? Why?
Overshare: CTF saw it in a thrift store and just couldn't resist.
Anonymous: He saw what in the thrift store? ET or the car seat?
Overshare: ET! Isn't he awesome?
Anonymous: Kind of freaky, actually. With his big eyes.
Overshare: I think he's precious.
Anonymous: Ok, let's just get the stuff and go back to work.
Overshare: Don't you want to hear the story?
Anonymous: Errr....
Overshare: So, while we were out of town last weekend, we just randomly went into this thrift store, and THERE HE WAS!
Anonymous: Wow.
Overshare: Yeah, I know! And apparently, CTF has always had this weird thing for ET, so he just had to buy it.
Anonymous: Weird ET Thing?
Overshare: So I bought it for him, and he insisted on carrying it around all weekend, calling it our lovechild! Isn't that so funny?
Anonymous: Hilarious.

Not to be all snarky (oh, who am I kidding?) but... seriously: If a man I was dating ever came close to implying that our child together would somehow look even remotely similar to ET, the EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL, we would be breaking up faster than he could write the five dollar check to Goodwill.

Overshare: Yeah, every time we got into the car, he took forever putting ET into his seat, buckling his seatbelt... it was adorable. He even made me buy it a Happy Meal when we went through the drive thru!
Anonymous: Oh. My. God.
Overshare: I KNOW! Isn't he hilarious??
Anonymous: [Silence.]
Overshare: I thought I was going to die from laughing.
Anonymous: I know I am.
Overshare: So then we were driving by Babies-R-Us, and he told me we had to go in and buy him a car seat.

Whoa. Whoa whoa whoa whoa WHOA.

Now, there is a fine line between "Oh, this is a funny private joke" and "Okay, we've taken this joke too far." (It's also commonly referred to as the line between sanity and insanity.) I'd have to say that PURCHASING A CAR SEAT for the ET DOLL that you've been calling your lovechild is on the INSANITY side of that line.

Call me crazy.

Somehow, I just can't see justifying the purchase of a car seat for anything other than a baby. But I'm old-fashioned like that. Especially when, upon researching the topic for this post, I discovered that there is no such thing as a cheap car seat.
Check it out.

Anonymous: You really bought a carseat for a plush ET Doll.
Overshare: Sure did! Like CTF says, there's nothing too good for our lovechild.

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 8:41 AM, February 01, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stay away from the local K-9 unit, Overshare. Who knows what that plush toy is stuffed with. Especially if CTF is so concerned about its safety.

 
At 10:18 AM, February 01, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never mind the ET doll! What does the "F" in CTF stand for? And what was the charge?
That story got really dark for me. I'm just a mother with 3 kids wondering "WHAT THE ...!"

 
At 10:21 AM, February 01, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If heaven smiles, this will be the only "child" either of them is ever allowed to procreate again! Can you picture them as parents?!... I'm having an imagination meltdown.

 
At 10:24 AM, February 01, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CTF has a kid, right? Overshare isn't thrilled about that, right? This is going to get good, right?

 
At 10:52 AM, February 01, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

$1,000,000 says CTF has just knocked up somebody and used Overshare to subsidize his costs.

 
At 10:52 AM, February 01, 2007, Blogger Muffy said...

That is freakishly disturbing.

 
At 4:34 AM, February 02, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i had the same thought...CTF got someone else pregnant, and he's going to use this carseat for her kid...

 
At 10:46 AM, February 02, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so can she be prosecuted for child negligence and endangerment for leaving her "lovechild" locked in a car? the two of them could go to jail together!!

 
At 11:24 AM, February 02, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, c'mon, Anonymous, ET's not "freaky." I'm going to have to side with Overshare on this one. Except for the whole business about referring to it as a lovechild. And buying it a happy meal. And purchasing a carseat.

 
At 2:10 PM, February 05, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My head hurts. It just hurts.

 
At 4:41 AM, February 12, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm pretty sure a piece of my soul just died.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home