Thursday, March 22, 2007

Ah, the Sound of the Uncorrupted....

At one of our company birthday parties a group of us were standing around, eating cake. (These are always a source of hilarity. Remember? I’ve written about them before.) You know how these things go… you get cake, and the few people who you actually consider friends stand together and chit-chat before you return to your desk to power through the last two hours of work solely on the tides of a sugar high.

So a small group of us are standing around, chatting. Beside me is New Hire, a recent addition to the office who has just asked a friend a question about our insurance plan. During the explanation, Overshare started in on a new story.

Overshare: So CTF and I went camping this weekend, and I have the most hilarious story!
Oh-My-God-I-Loved-It: Oh my God, really? What is it?
Overshare: Well, one night I went to the bathroom.
Anonymous: Ok.
OMG: Wait, is that it?
Overshare, rolling her eyes: No. So I went to the bathroom and CTF said he was going to build a fire while I was gone. So I go, and then when I come back, guess what?
Anonymous: CTF had built a fire?
Overshare, clearly trying (and failing) to build suspense: Noooo….
OMG: CTF doesn’t know how to build a fire?
Overshare: No…. CTF was gone!!
Anonymous: Really?
Overshare: So, I wondered if perhaps I was at the wrong camp, but then I finally figured out that I wasn’t… so then I figured CTF was hiding, so I went to look for him.
OMG: Did you ever find him?
Overshare: Yeah, he was huddled behind our tent. Scared the crap out of me!
New Girl, coming late to the story: Wait, what is this? Who was hiding? A dog? A bear?

[No one answers.]

New Girl, whispering: A rapist?
Overshare: CTF! My boyfriend! I mean, my friend!
New Girl: Your boyfriend’s a rapist?

[Group laughs, hysterically.]

Overshare: Oh, funny. Real funny.

[Group continues to laugh until we notice her Look of Death and Evil.]

Overshare: Fine. I’m going back to my desk.

[Overshare leaves. Group waits a few seconds, bursts into hysterical laughter.]

OMG: Wasn’t that funny? Oh my God, it was so funny!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 6:56 AM, March 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knew it was that easy to get her to go back to her desk! Outstanding.

 
At 6:27 PM, March 25, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, I can't believe I missed that. But my question: Did new girl know she was being funny?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home